Saturday 1 May 2010

:: Marry for the wrong reason ::

Assalam Alaikum,

I was just pondering about this hadith...
Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "A woman is married for four things, i.e., her wealth, her family status, her beauty and her religion. So you should marry the religious woman (otherwise) you will be a losers. (Book #62, Hadith #27)
In the perspective of a woman, how would you feel if you are chosen because of your wealth / family status / beauty? Instead of you being pious? 

For me, I would feel very much hurt that the man did not choose me for the right reason... What would happen if I become poorer, my family status hit rock bottom or I get disfigured? Will that man still take care of me? hmMmmm...

So, should this be a man to be married to? hmMmm... Would love to hear some contributions! =)


W'salam,
Khadijah C.

6 comments:

  1. Assalaamu alaikum,

    Love your blog sister, masha'Allah!

    As for the hadith you posted...hmmm... it's true that the deciding factor and the most important thing when deciding on a spouse should be their commitment to Islam and their love for Allah Azza wa Jalla but the other factors can come into play also. For example, there should be some physical attraction that draws you to that person as well.

    My thoughts. :)

    Umm Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalam Alaikum,

    Yes yes, you are right~ Those are impt too but just secondary~ It's really scary when I get to see broken families because of some small issues~

    And broken families really have much impact on children~ =(

    Maybe I'm just thinking too much but it just makes me feel worried about my life with another person~ Tell again, it's all Allah, Subhana wa Ta'ala, planning~ I shall have faith in him and let him bring me when I should go! =D

    W'salam,
    Khadijah C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This hadith does make you think. I agree I would be hurt if I was chosen for wealth / family status / beauty only. However there is also a hadith like this one that says if there are two women and both are the same in faith but one is more attractive to you then there is no harm in marrying the more attractive one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jazakallah Khair for all the responses! =D

    Bottomline is faith is the primary decision, then followed by others~ Whatever the others are~

    We shall all work hard to strength our Iman, Insha'Allah!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I debated on this several times, whereby the conclusion I had was to chose religion over anything else.

    For the record, I have varied interpretations i.e. wealth is not material wealth; it may be akhlak/knowledge-wealth, family status is in reference to circumstances and beauty is more on the eyes of the beholder/skin-deep. The mind tends to interpret things differently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Assalam Alaikum Hajar,

    That's new to me~ I have not thought about those that you mentioned before... Not in this context~

    I guess we just assume that wealth, family status and beauty are in the face-value, which as you mentioned, might not be the case... =D

    Jazakallah Khair for sharing what you have collected! =)


    W'salam,
    Khadijah C.

    ReplyDelete

Assalam Alaikum (May Peace be Upon You)
Thank you for dropping by to read my post.
Do feel free to comment.